Monday, November 13, 2006

Feasting requires killing!

Well the church here had its official dedication ceremony. The new building looks great and there were over 200 guests in attendance. They invited all sorts of town officials and Christians travelled from all over Senegal to come. Remember there are not too many, so this was a big event. I think this is the biggest Christian church here. It was cool to see how God has provided for them in this whole endeavor. Almost all the money for the project came as donations from outside sources, as the people here are poor. They shared the testimonies of Gods amazing provision and the service was an exuburent time of celebration. They had a huge feast for everyone that lasted a few days. They killed 2 cows, 2 goats, 2 pigs, and 2 chickens (sort of a reverse of the Noahs ark story!) I was a witness to all this butchering, it took place on the grounds where I live. It was a lively time of fellowship, as everyone joined in the process of hacking up meat. I had an opportunity I could not refuse, they asked me to kill one of the goats, so I did. It was an interesting experience and I even skinned and butchered it, with some help of course. I continue to try and fit in and make the most of my African experience. The feasting was really really good. Now lets hope the project moves ahead this week....

No comments: